Many in the University community are well informed as to the athletic exploits of W&L's 472 varsity student-athletes. The accomplishments are many. Thus far in 2013-14, the Generals have already won three conference titles while claiming just better than 60 percent (169-111-6, .601) of their athletic contests.
As impressive as those feats may be, W&L's student-athletes have been even more impressive in the classroom this school year.
In both the fall and winter terms, W&L student-athletes have set new records for the number of students achieving the scholar-athlete award. The award is presented to student-athletes who have received a cumulative grade-point average (GPA) of 3.5 or better for a term.
In the fall, a total of 190 students received the award, eclipsing the former record of 185 that was set during the 2012 winter term. That number increased during the recently completed winter term to 210 scholar-athlete award recipients, meaning that 44.5 percent of W&L's total student-athletes received a GPA of 3.5 or better for the winter term.
Additionally, 22 of the students honored achieved a 4.0 grade-point average, marking the third-straight term in which more than 20 student-athletes achieved a 4.0 GPA.
Among those registering a perfect GPA were:
- Junior All-ODAC soccer player Lauren Abraham (Richmond, Va. / Mills E. Godwin)
- Junior All-ODAC soccer player Holley Beasley (Virginia Beach, Va. / Norfolk Academy)
- First-year tennis player Brooke Donnelly (Kennesaw, Ga. / Marietta)
- Sophomore soccer player Becca Dunn (Houston, Texas / Memorial)
- Senior cross country and track & field athlete Katie Driest (Davidson, N.C. / North Mecklenburg)
- Senior All-ODAC track & field athlete David Fishman (Westfield, N.J. / Westfield)
- Sophomore soccer player Liam Gaziano (Dedham, Mass. / Roxbury Latin)
- Senior All-ODAC field hockey player Riley Hampsch (Hopedale, Mass. / Hopedale)
- Senior tennis player Trey Hatcher (Knoxville, Tenn. / Webb School)
- Junior All-ODAC tennis player Christopher Hu (Ridgewood, N.J. / Ridgewood)
- Sophomore All-America tennis player Michael Holt (Henrico, Va. / Mills Godwin)
- Sophomore volleyball player Maddie Kosar (Chagrin Falls, Ohio / Gilmour Academy)
- First-year basketball player Darby Lundquist (Chattanooga, Tenn. / Notre Dame)
- Senior All-ODAC cross country and track & field athlete Annelise Madison (Roca, Neb. / Norris)
- Junior field hockey player Lindsey Purpura (Yarmouth, Maine / Yarmouth)
- Senior volleyball player Allison Rouse (Troy, Mich. / Troy)
- First-year soccer player Kate Sarfert (Winston Salem, N.C. / RJ Reynolds)
- First-year swimmer Cole Schott (Nashville, Tenn. / Hume-Fogg Academic)
- Senior soccer and lacrosse player Kingsley Schroeder (Dayton, Ohio / Westminster School/Miami Valley)
- Senior soccer player Jasmine Soo (Charleston, W.Va. / Culver Academies)
- Senior golfer Jake Struebing (Amherst, N.Y. / Amherst Central)
- Sophomore basketball player Franklin Wolfe (Raleigh, N.C. / Sanderson)
Other notable athletes to receive the scholar-athlete award were:
- Senior All-America football player Connor Hollenbeck (Alpharetta, Ga. / Alpharetta)
- Senior All-America lacrosse player Leanne Stone (Darien, Conn. / Darien)
- Junior All-America tennis player Meghan Buell (New Albany, Ohio / New Albany)
- Junior All-America tennis player Patricia Kirkland (Charleston, S.C. / Ashley Hall)
- Senior All-America volleyball player Mary Ashleigh Boles (Houston, Texas / St. John's)
The football team claimed the highest number of scholar-athlete honorees for the winter term, claiming 31 on the list. The soccer team claimed the highest number of female athletes on the list with 18 of the 23 members achieving a GPA of 3.5 or better.
All but one of W&L's 24 varsity athletic programs achieved a team GPA of at least 3.000, led by the women's soccer team, which posted a 3.709 that marked the highest team GPA recorded in either the fall or winter term since 2000. The highest men's team GPA was the men's soccer team with a 3.518 and no team recorded a GPA lower than 2.984.
The Generals will have plenty of opportunities to add to their athletic accomplishments for the spring in the coming weeks beginning this weekend as the ODAC baseball, men's golf, women's golf, men's tennis and women's tennis championships will be decided.
Team GPA Listing
- Women's Soccer 3.709
- Riding 3.545
- Women's Tennis 3.539
- Men's Soccer 3.518
- Men's Golf 3.483
- Women's Basketball 3.465
- Field Hockey 3.442
- Volleyball 3.427
- Women's Indoor Track 3.406
- Women's Outdoor Track 3.406
- Men's Tennis 3.383
- Women's Cross Country 3.372
- Men's Cross Country 3.369
- Wrestling 3.358
- Men's Swimming 3.337
- Men's Basketball 3.312
- Men's Outdoor Track 3.312
- Football 3.308
- Women's Swimming 3.301
- Men's Indoor Track 3.298
- Women's Lacrosse 3.279
- Men's Lacrosse 3.167
- Baseball 3.162
- Women's Golf 2.984