Taylor Gilfillan, a Washington and Lee University senior, from Raleigh, N.C., has been named the John W. Elrod General of the Year for 2012–2013.
The Celebrating Student Success (CSS) Initiative announced the award on May 9 during a presentation in Elrod Commons. Gilfillan was one of the 19 Washington and Lee students that CSS recognized with General of the Month awards during the academic year. All of the winners voted for General of the Year.
The CSS committee, comprising students and staff and sponsored by the Division of Student Affairs, recognizes students who bring depth and breadth to the University.
After graduation, Gilfillan will teach mathematics and/or science at a school in Houston, Texas, as part of Teach for America. A physics major, he serves as president of the W&L chapter of Sigma Pi Sigma National Physics Honor Society. He was a R.E. Lee Research Scholar during the summer of 2012 and presented his research at the annual Optical Society of America Conference last October.
He is assistant head resident adviser for the First-Year Leadership Council and was activities chair for the First-Year Orientation Committee last fall. He is a Student-to-Student mentor, spending a few hours a week with a child in the community, and is active in the Traveller Safe-Ride Program. A three-year member of the varsity basketball team, Gilfillan belongs to Lambda Chi Alpha fraternity.
Generals of the Month for 2012-13:
- September: Taylor Gilfillan '13, Joni Deutsch '14, Rachel Pityk '13;
- October: Ali Hamed '13, Jen Ritter '13;
- November: Alexandra Fernandez '13, Ronald Magee '13;
- December: Daniel Rauboldt '13, Rachel Urban '13;
- January: Shannon McGovern '13, Keaton Fletcher '13;
- February: Connor Smithson '13, Bethany Reynolds '13;
- March: Wayde Marsh '13, Megan Bock '13;
- April: Alicia Bishop '13, Scott Diamond '13;
- May: Alvin Thomas '14, Erica Schwotzer '14
Jeffery G. Hanna
Executive Director of Communications and Public Affairs