Washington and Lee University’s Community Grants Committee has made 12 grants totaling $26,665 to non-profit organizations in Lexington and Rockbridge County. They are the first part of its two rounds of grants for 2012-13.
The committee chose the grants from 27 proposals requesting more than $134,000.
W&L awarded grants to the following organizations:
- CASA for Children: funds to offset expenses associated with supervising CASA volunteers specifically serving child victims in Lexington, Buena Vista, and Rockbridge County.
- The Community Table: funding to assist with food purchasing needs.
- Fine Arts in Rockbridge: funds to support the Youth Strings program.
- Hoofbeats Therapeutic Riding Center: funds to provide scholarships for needy riders.
- Lexington Police Department Foundation: funds to go toward the construction of a training building at the Brushy Hill firing range.
- Woods Creek Montessori: funds to support playground improvement projects.
- Natural Bridge/Glasgow Food Pantry, Inc.: funding to assist with food purchases and operational expenses.
- Parry McCluer High School Girls Basketball: funding to assist with the purchase of new equipment.
- Project Horizon, Inc.: funds to support the volunteer program/24-hour crisis hotline.
- RAISE Infant Program: funding of four programs to assist local children diagnosed with developmental delays.
- Rockbridge Area Relief Association: funds for client rent assistance.
- Rockbridge Area YMCA: funds to assist with the purchase of gymnastics equipment.
Established in 2008, W&L's Community Grants Committee evaluates requests for financial donations and support from Lexington and Rockbridge County. While the University has long provided financial and other assistance to worthwhile projects and organizations in the community on a case-by-case basis, the Community Grants Program formalizes W&L’s role in supporting regional organizations and activities through accessible grant-making.
During its 2011-12 cycle, the Community Grants Committee awarded $50,000. Proposals may be submitted at any time, but they are reviewed only semiannually. The submission deadline for the second round of evaluations for 2012-13 will be 4:30 p.m. on Friday, May 31, 2013. Interested parties may download the proposal guidelines at http://go.wlu.edu/communitygrants.
Proposals should be submitted as electronic attachments (Microsoft Word or PDF) via e-mail to email@example.com. Please call (540) 458-8417 with questions. If an electronic submission is not possible, materials may be faxed to (540) 458-8745 or mailed to Washington and Lee University Community Grants Committee, Attn: James D. Farrar, Jr., Office of the Secretary, 204 W. Washington St., Washington and Lee University, Lexington, VA 24450-2116.