Thirteen members of the Washington and Lee University faculty have been named to endowed professorships— two each in the School of Law and the Williams School of Commerce, Economics, and Politics, and nine in the College.
W&L currently has 45 endowed full professorships and 10 term professorships, which recognize worthy teachers who have made meaningful contributions to Washington and Lee but are not yet eligible for a full professorship. The term professorships rotate among faculty.
The University has added 14 of the named professorships and all 10 of the term professorships as part of a fund-raising challenge issued by Gerry Lenfest, a member of the W&L Classes of 1953 (undergraduate) and 1955 (law), to increase support for faculty. Lenfest pledged $33 million for faculty salaries, including professorships, if the University's alumni, parents and friends matched the amount. That challenge was successfully met in 2010 and is part of the University's $500 million campaign, Honor Our Past, Build Our Future.
In addition to the professorship added as part of the Lenfest Challenge, three other new professorships have also been added through the campaign — the Rupert H. Johnson Jr. Professor of History, held by Nicolaas Rupke; the Rupert H. Johnson Jr. Professor of Entrepreneurship and Leadership, held by Jeffrey Shay; and the Roger Mudd Professor of Ethics, which has not yet been filled.
Faculty appointed to professorships in the College:
- Marc Conner (English), the Jo M. and James M. Ballengee Endowed Professor;
- Chris Connors (Geology), the inaugural William E. Pritchard III ’80 Endowed Professor in Geology;
- Kevin Crotty (Classics), the inaugural J. Donald Childress Professor in Foreign Languages;
- Nathan Feldman (Mathematics), the Rupert and Lillian Radford Endowed Professor in Mathematics;
- Ellen Mayock (Romance Languages), the Ernest Williams II Endowed Professor;
- Mike Pleva (Chemistry), the Robert Lee Telford Endowed Professor;
- Domnica Radulescu (Romance languages), the Edwin A. Morris Endowed Professor;
- Brian Richardson (Journalism and Mass Communications), the Harry E. and Mary Jane W. Redenbaugh Endowed Term Professor;
- Erich Uffelman (Chemistry), the Cincinnati Endowed Professor.
The two members of the Williams School faculty named to professorships:
- Scott Boylan (Accounting), the Ehrick Kilner Haight Sr. Term Professor;
- Michael Anderson (Economics), the inaugural Robert E. Sadler Jr Professorship.
In the School of Law, the two faculty members named to professorships:
- Joan M. (Shaun) Shaughnessy, the inagural Roger D. Groot Professor of Law;
- Eric Luna, the Sidney and Frances Lewis Professor of Law.
Jeffery G. Hanna
Executive Director of Communications and Public Affairs